This program is open only to incoming freshman students, who are attending the first full fall semester after graduating high school. All eligible applicants must meet all admissions requirements for NMSU, have a composite ACT score of 23 or greater (or SAT score of 1060 or greater), and an unweighted high school grade point average (GPA) of 3.5 or greater.
Additionally, students must:
- Apply to New Mexico State University
- Complete the OMPP Supplemental Application. The supplemental application will include the following:
- OMPP Application Form
- A personal essay (no longer than two pages, double-spaced)
- Three letters of recommendation. At least one must be from one of your science or math teachers; Another must be from somebody who works with a program you have volunteered with, demonstrating your community involvement. A third letter must come from a non-relative, and can include a HS counselor, coach, band director, teacher, minister or employer.
- High school transcripts
- Dual credit/college transcripts
- ACT/SAT scores
- If invited, participate in an on-campus interview in February
For your OMPP Supplemental Application to be considered, a complete application must be received or postmarked on or before December 15. All applications will be reviewed by a committee of faculty and staff from NMSU and BCOM. By late-January, top candidates will be invited to an on-campus interview, to be conducted in Las Cruces in mid-February. Successful applicants will be notified by mid-March of their acceptance into the OMPP, and will have until May 1st to express their commitment to the program. Students accepted into the program will be regular NMSU students subject to all of NMSU’s rules and regulations.
The application period for the Fall 2018 OMPP cohort will begin on Tuesday, August 1st. Any OMPP applications submitted prior to August 1st WILL NOT be accepted.
Please print out and complete the application below. In addition, print out the Recommendation Letter Guidelines (below) to be given to each of your recommendation letter writers.
Read all instructions carefully and thoroughly. For your application to be considered, your completed OMPP application must be received or postmarked on or before December 15th, 2017. You must also submit an application for admission to NMSU prior to submitting your OMPP application.
If you have any questions about the OMPP or the OMPP application process, please contact the OMPP Coordinator.